The DASH diet, short for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, is a healthy eating plan that is designed to help lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, and promote overall health and well-being. While many people are familiar with the basics of the DASH diet, such as eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and limiting sodium intake, there are actually many foods that are DASH-approved that you may not have realized.
Here are nine foods you didn’t know were DASH diet-approved:
1. Avocado: Rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, avocados are a great addition to any DASH diet meal. They are also packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamins C and K.
2. Dark chocolate: Believe it or not, dark chocolate can be a DASH-friendly treat! It contains antioxidants that can help lower blood pressure and improve heart health, but be sure to choose chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa to avoid added sugars.
3. Quinoa: This ancient grain is a great source of protein and fiber, making it a perfect addition to any DASH diet meal. It is also rich in iron, magnesium, and other essential nutrients.
4. Greek yogurt: With its high protein content and low sugar, Greek yogurt is a great option for those following the DASH diet. It also contains probiotics that can help improve gut health.
5. Edamame: These soybeans are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, and are also rich in vitamins and minerals like folate and iron.
6. Almonds: Another healthy fat source, almonds are a great snack for those following the DASH diet. They are also packed with fiber and other nutrients like vitamin E and magnesium.
7. Lentils: These legumes are a great source of protein and fiber, and are also rich in folate and iron. They can be used in a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to salads and grain bowls.
8. Salmon: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is a heart-healthy choice for those following the DASH diet. It is also a great source of protein and other nutrients like vitamin D and selenium.
9. Berries: Whether you prefer strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries, all types of berries are DASH diet-approved. They are packed with antioxidants and fiber, and are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
By incorporating these DASH diet-approved foods into your meals and snacks, you can help improve your heart health, lower your blood pressure, and feel your best. So go ahead and enjoy that dark chocolate or avocado toast guilt-free!