If you suffer from GERD, you know how uncomfortable and painful it can be. But did you know that what you eat can have a big impact on your symptoms? That’s right, there are certain foods you should avoid and others you should incorporate into your diet to help ease your GERD symptoms. Here’s the ultimate diet for GERD:
Foods to Eat:
1. Lean proteins: Stick to lean meats like chicken, turkey, and fish. These are easier to digest and less likely to trigger your GERD symptoms.
2. Non-citrus fruits: Fruits like bananas, apples, and pears are great options for those with GERD. They are low in acid and won’t irritate your stomach.
3. Vegetables: Most vegetables are safe to eat when you have GERD. Just be sure to avoid onions and garlic as they can trigger symptoms.
4. Whole grains: Opt for whole grain bread, pasta, and rice instead of their refined counterparts. These are easier to digest and won’t cause as much irritation.
5. Low-fat dairy: If you want to include dairy in your diet, choose low-fat options like skim milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Foods to Avoid:
1. Citrus fruits: Oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are high in acid and can irritate your stomach. It’s best to avoid them altogether.
2. Spicy foods: Spicy foods can be a trigger for GERD symptoms. If you love spicy food, try seasoning your meals with herbs instead.
3. Fried foods: Fried foods are high in fat and can take longer to digest, which can lead to GERD symptoms.
4. Carbonated beverages: Carbonated beverages like soda can increase the pressure in your stomach, which can lead to acid reflux.
5. Chocolate: Unfortunately, chocolate is a trigger for GERD symptoms. If you can’t resist, try dark chocolate in small amounts.
By following this ultimate diet for GERD, you can help alleviate your symptoms and feel more comfortable. Just remember to always listen to your body and avoid any foods that cause discomfort.