The Paleo diet is a popular way of eating that focuses on whole, unprocessed foods that our ancestors would have eaten. While some people may think that this means a limited diet, there are actually many foods that fit within the Paleo framework that you may not have considered before. Here are the top 5 foods you didn’t know you could eat on the Paleo diet:
1. Plantains – Plantains are a starchy fruit that is often used in Caribbean and Latin American cuisine. They are a great source of vitamins and minerals and can be used in a variety of ways on the Paleo diet. You can fry them up as a side dish, mash them up as a substitute for mashed potatoes, or even use them as a base for a Paleo-friendly pizza crust.
2. Bone broth – While it may not be a traditional food, bone broth has become a staple in the Paleo community. It is made by simmering bones, vegetables, and herbs for hours to create a nutrient-rich broth that can be used as a base for soups, stews, or even sipped on its own. Bone broth is a great way to get more collagen, gelatin, and other beneficial nutrients into your diet.
3. Dark chocolate – Yes, you read that right, chocolate can be part of a Paleo diet! However, it is important to choose high-quality dark chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa and doesn’t contain any added sugars or dairy. Dark chocolate is a good source of antioxidants and can be enjoyed as a treat in moderation.
4. Coconut flour – Many Paleo enthusiasts avoid grains, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up baked goods. Coconut flour is a versatile alternative that is high in fiber and protein. It can be used in place of regular flour in recipes for pancakes, muffins, and even bread.
5. Seaweed – Seaweed is a nutrient-dense food that is rich in vitamins and minerals, including iodine, which is essential for thyroid health. It can be added to salads, soups, or even eaten as a snack in the form of roasted seaweed sheets. Seaweed is a great way to add variety to your Paleo diet and boost your nutrient intake.
In conclusion, the Paleo diet doesn’t have to be restrictive or boring. By incorporating these top 5 foods into your diet, you can enjoy a wide variety of delicious and nutrient-dense foods that will help you feel your best. Give them a try and see how they can enhance your Paleo lifestyle.