Looking for a way to clear up your skin naturally? Look no further than your spice rack! Herbs have been used for centuries for their medicinal properties, including for improving the health and appearance of skin. Here are nine herbs that can help you achieve clearer skin, without resorting to harsh chemicals and expensive treatments.
1. Turmeric: This bright yellow spice is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, making it great for reducing redness and swelling in the skin. It’s also been shown to improve the overall tone and texture of the skin.
2. Chamomile: Chamomile is well-known for its calming properties, but it’s also a fantastic herb for reducing inflammation and promoting healing in the skin. It’s particularly helpful for those with sensitive skin or conditions like eczema.
3. Calendula: Calendula, also known as marigold, is another anti-inflammatory herb that’s great for soothing irritated skin. It’s often used in natural skincare products to help with conditions like acne and rosacea.
4. Lavender: Lavender has a relaxing scent, but it also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it beneficial for treating acne and other skin conditions. It’s also been shown to help reduce the appearance of scars.
5. Rosemary: This fragrant herb is great for improving circulation in the skin, which can help reduce puffiness and dark circles under the eyes. It’s also a natural astringent, which means it can help tighten and tone the skin.
6. Sage: Sage is another natural astringent that’s great for reducing excess oil and preventing breakouts. It’s also been shown to have antimicrobial properties, which can help kill bacteria on the skin.
7. Thyme: Thyme is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to have antibacterial properties, making it helpful for preventing and treating acne. It’s also a natural exfoliant, which means it can help remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover.
8. Witch hazel: Witch hazel is a popular natural toner that’s derived from the bark and leaves of the witch hazel plant. It’s a natural astringent that can help tighten and tone the skin, as well as reduce inflammation and redness.
9. Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a succulent plant that’s been used for centuries for its healing properties. It’s particularly helpful for treating sunburns and other types of skin irritation, as it has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
While these herbs can be used in a variety of ways, one of the easiest and most effective ways to incorporate them into your skincare routine is by making a DIY herbal toner. To make your own toner, simply steep a handful of herbs in hot water for 10-15 minutes, strain the liquid, and then apply it to your face with a cotton pad or spray bottle. You can also add a few drops of essential oils for added benefits and a pleasant scent.
Remember, everyone’s skin is different, so it’s important to do a patch test before using any new herbs or products on your skin. But with a little experimentation, you’re sure to find the perfect herbs to help you achieve clearer, healthier skin.